Hello everyone! As of last weekend, the group said goodbye to one another and we split up to different cities and towns within Cape Town to live with our host families for the remaining four weeks. We were spoiled with heated blankets, showers, and internet in our first two weeks and now the majority of us have found ourselves with cold houses, baths only, and no internet. Luckily for me my host family has hooked me up with a heated blanket AND a heater in my bed room! But because I have no internet at home and very VERY slow interenet at school, this may be the only post for a while...Sorry!
As for my host family, I am currently staying with Hilary, the principal of Brooklands Primary school, her husband Francis, and their 29 year old daughter Helga. They have another daughter, Carolyn, who is married and has a 20-month old daughter, Morgan. Hilary and I pick up Morgan on our way home from school every day and she stays with us until 7:30 when her mommy comes to pick her up. She is definitely a handfull, but luckily she likes me and I have become her new playtime buddy (she does not like many people other than mommy, daddy, granny and pops. So they were all very curious to see how she responded to me).
For the past week, I have been working in a 3rd grade classroom, surrounded 28 very excited students. They are all so curious about America and they LOVE the fact that I have blue eyes and that when I talk, they think I sound like I am from television. Also, because I am from America, they think I know every American.... "Do you know a girl named Liz? You should know her. She is also from America!" "Are you friends with Justin Bieber?" They also tell me that I am more beautiful than Barbie....hahahahaha
I think this week I am going to go around and observe in some other grades, see how things are outside of 3rd grade.
Yesterday, the group was reunited for the Manchester United vs Ajax Cape Town soccer game in Cape Town Stadium, the stadium where the World Cup was held in 2010. IT WAS SO COOL!!!!!! Of course it rained for part of the day, and because we sat so close to the field (ROW 10!!!!!!) we did get a bit damp. But it was totally worth it!
That's all for now. Hopefully I'll be able to keep you posted with the events of my final 3 weeks here!
No comments:
Post a Comment